[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Installing CPAN Error

Rebecca Larocque Rebecca.LAROCQUE at cityofnorthbay.ca
Wed Mar 31 15:35:33 EDT 2010

Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster.

Right now, I'm setting up a test server for Evergreen on a spare
computer running Ubuntu 8.04 ("Hardy Heron").  I'll spare you the
details of how it took a total of five hours to set up the user
"opensrf", suffice to say I finally managed it this afternoon.
Everything was going well until I got to the step where you install the
software prerequisites (step #3); I entered "make -f
src/extras/Makefile.install ubutu-hardy"; it ran through the
installation until it got to this point:

Please enter your CPAN site: []
CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.

The default site wasn't working, so I found an alternate mirror site and
entered that URL.  This is what happened next:

commit: wrote /etc/perl/CPAN/Config.pm
Fetching with LWP:
  ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
LWP failed with code[500] message[LWP::Protocol::MyFTP: connect:
Connection refused]
Fetching with Net::FTP:
  ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz

[Snip]

Could not fetch authors/id/T/TM/TMTM/Class-DBI-0.96.tar.gz
Giving up on
'/root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/T/TM/TMTM/Class-DBI-0.96.tar.gz'

make: *** [install_cpan_force] Error 2

I tried running "make" again, but it didn't allow me to try another
mirror site.  Is it just a matter of throwing mirror FTP sites at it
until something works, or is it something less obvious?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca Larocque
Head of Information Services, North Bay Public Library
 271 Worthington St. East
North Bay, ON P1B 1H1
705-474-4830 FAX 705-495-4010
rebecca.larocque at cityofnorthbay.ca
<mailto:rebecca.larocque at cityofnorthbay.ca>

"[N]othing is more fatal to the maidenly delicacy of speech than the run
of a good library." -Robertson Davies