[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Customer-item rules in Evergreen

Jess Cook jess.3.cook at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:48:13 EDT 2010

Hello all,

Hoping for a big picture answer to how Evergreen handles basic circulation.
Perhaps someone can point me to a overview of how circulation happens.
What information is gathered from Evergreen when a customer barcode is first
scanned:  is the card valid (patron is banned?),
does the patron have "messages", are there holds awaiting pickup, are there
fines, etc.

Then what happens when the first item is scanned?  Can this item be borrowed
at all?  Was
this item previously reported missing? etc.

Then how is the the combination of customer and item handled?  This is a
special type of customer
so is permitted to borrow this special item? What is the loan period?  etc.

I' m looking for a narrative, general type answer.

Thanks in advance,

Jess