[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** RE: ***SPAM*** Serial Module - Development Direction

Marjolein Kremer mkr at iisg.nl
Thu May 27 05:49:41 EDT 2010

Hi Dan,

We took our time to read and reread your mail about the Serial Module.
Here is our first reaction, also to let you know that we are interested
in the developments of the Serial Module and that we will do our best
to participate in the discussion, though our technical knowhow is, as
yet, not so big.

The IISH  (The International Institute of Social History in Amsterdam)
has  two streams of incoming periodicals :
1.	Subscriptions. We have about 1500 subscriptions  in our present
Serial Module (Advance ILS  and migrating to Evergreen later this year),
in which we control the predictions, receiving, claiming and so on. We
would like to continue this.
2.	 Periodicals we receive in bulk parts. They arrive at the
Institute with a collection of books, archive, photos etc.  We have
around 100.000 serial records in the database. These periodicals do not
have to be linked with all the serial management data, they only need a
852 (call number) and a 866 (textual holding).
So actually, we are using and , considering the kind of periodicals we
have,  would like to keep on working in the, as you name it,  the
'conservative' way.

To answer your question : Are visible, editable MFHD records truly
necessary?
Yes, is our answer. Our library gets most of its periodicals by means of
gifts. That means that we always have to edit the (textual) holding. It
also means that with that part of our collection we ONLY need the 852
and the 866 and NOT the other 85x and 86x fields.

Marjolein Kremer