[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Unexpected results changing Organisational Units through Staff Client in EG 2.0 alpha4

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Tue Nov 2 20:28:03 EDT 2010

Repke brings up a solid point about scaring off new users trying out
Evergreen with the awkwardness experienced with trying to change org
units in the current defaults of Evergreen.  I bring this up again
because the issue with changing/deleting the default org units has come
up again on the IRC, so it's not just a few isolated incidents.

While documentation might help to address some of this, I wonder if
maybe it was hasty to change how the organization units are structured
in the default shipping of Evergreen?  I think the change was helpful if
the plan was only to edit the existing structure, but it seems that
others may just want to delete things and start from scratch.

Maybe we should approach this like what has been suggested for the
default options for permission groups and advocate some sort of option
for a "blank" org units tree (like maybe have only 1 for Default
Consortium, which you can edit) during the installation process.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator