[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.0 beta 1, testing standards-based control numbers

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Sat Nov 6 02:28:52 EDT 2010

Hey all:

Mike Rylander finished wrapping up the 2.0 beta 1 release at
http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/Evergreen-ILS-2.0-beta1.tar.gz (the
downloads page / wiki install instructions still need to be updated, so
this is a bonus heads up for mailing list readers).

If possible, I'd like people to give things a test after explicitly
turning on two global flags that have been in place, but turned off,
since the first 2.0 release. If you haven't found them yet in your
explorations, "Global Flags" are located under "Admin -> Server Settings
-> Global Flags" in the staff client, and they're used to affect the
behaviour of the Evergreen system globally. (Maybe we should rename it
to "Global Behavior" to avoid any chance that people might think they're
opening up a screen with flags of the world?)

The settings in question are:

  * "Cat: Use internal ID for TCN value" - this uses the record ID (you
could call it the accession number) of the record for the title control
number (TCN).

  * "Cat: Maintain 001/003/035 according to the MARC21 specification"
does the following for authority, bibliographic, and MFHD records:

    * Using either a control number identifier specified in a library
      setting, falling back to the short name of the library, this
      sets the 003 in the record to that value. The setting is pulled
      from the owner of the record, if the record has an owner;
      otherwise, it is pulled from the top-level consortial setting.

    * Sets the 001 to the record ID (sounds like a duplication of the
      previous global flag, doesn't it? I believe this is more
      extensive, however, in that the first flag only affects
      bibliographic records)

    * If the previously existing 001/003 don't match the incoming
      001/003, then the previously existing 001/003 get moved into a new
      035 field as a means of preserving the lineage of the record.

I'd like to enable these flags by default for 2.0, as I believe they
provide an experience that adheres more closely to the MARC21 standard,
but more testing would be a good thing before we make that switch. So,
as you test beta1, I'd be delighted if you could turn these flags on
right from the start so that we can shake out any bugs that might be
lurking.