[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.0 beta 1, testing standards-based control numbers

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Mon Nov 8 08:59:24 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

> Hey all:
>
> Mike Rylander finished wrapping up the 2.0 beta 1 release at
> http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/Evergreen-ILS-2.0-beta1.tar.gz (the
> downloads page / wiki install instructions still need to be updated, so
> this is a bonus heads up for mailing list readers).
>
> If possible, I'd like people to give things a test after explicitly
> turning on two global flags that have been in place, but turned off,
> since the first 2.0 release. If you haven't found them yet in your
> explorations, "Global Flags" are located under "Admin -> Server Settings
> -> Global Flags" in the staff client, and they're used to affect the
> behaviour of the Evergreen system globally. (Maybe we should rename it
> to "Global Behavior" to avoid any chance that people might think they're
> opening up a screen with flags of the world?)
>
> The settings in question are:
>
>  * "Cat: Use internal ID for TCN value" - this uses the record ID (you
> could call it the accession number) of the record for the title control
> number (TCN).

There's one caveat to enabling this setting.  Using the internal identifier
as the TCN effectively disables the collision detection in the Z39.50 import
interface, since it's based on TCN value.  (The TCN-based collision
detection is so rudimentary, though, some may be relieved by this).  Until a
more flexible collision detection process is in place, avoiding duplicate
bib record imports from Z39.50 will be up to the user.

Thanks for the nudge, Dan.

-b

--
Bill Erickson