[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** RE: Details of fiscal sponsorship agreement for Evergreen & Conservancy

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed Nov 10 12:28:13 EST 2010

On 10 November 2010 12:00, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:
> I'm in favor of this plan.
>
> Just out of curiosity - who would be representing the Evergreen project in
> the Conservancy? Is it the entire governance committee or specific
> individuals?

Hi Kathy:

That's something that the Conservancy works out on a
project-by-project basis.  The agreement has a placeholder for this:

[Note: This section should describe the way in which the Project
wishes to interface with
    the Conservancy; including who has authority to communicate with the
    Conservancy regarding the Project and what is required in order for
    the Conservancy to act on behalf of the Project.  For example, must
    all of the Developers confirm their approval of a certain action, or
    can any one of the Developers instruct the Conservancy to take a
    certain action.  Also, the Developer[s] may want to identify certain
    other individuals that have the power to represent the Project.]

Aside: I believe the use of the term "Developer[s]" reflects the most
common case for the Conservancy, where a group of developers in a
given project seeks to join the Conservancy: thus the boilerplate use
of that term in the agreement. I bet the Conservancy would be quite
happy to work with a more inclusive term for our community, where we
have much broader representation.

To respond to your question about who would represent the Evergreen
project to the Conservancy, I personally think the entire interim
governance committee (20-ish people) would be way too unwieldy for
that role. One way of moving forward would be for the interim
governance committee to elect a subset (1, 3, 5, 7?) to act as
contacts with the Conservancy, as directed by the community via the
interim governance committee. We're probably not talking about many
actions in the short term, as we don't really have much in the way of
funds to direct (carry-overs from previous conferences to the next
conference, domain name renewals) and I'm not aware of any pending
legal actions. (Knock on wood!)