[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Serials in alpha4

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Wed Nov 17 13:29:13 EST 2010

On 11/17/2010 12:59 PM, Kathy Lussier wrote:
> Hi Joke,
>
> However, I'm not quite sure what a stream is. Is a stream just used for
> routing serials or is there another purpose? If a stream is primarily used
> for routing, is it a requirement that you set up routing for a serial before
> you can generate predictions? We have libraries that do not need to route
> serials.

Hi Kathy, sorry I'm butting in again. :-)

Yes you do need at least one stream before any predicting will happen.
But streams aren't necessarily about routing to specific people or
departments.  Instead each stream represents where a copy will go for
each issue of a serial.

You already know that you'll have one or more distributions on a
subscription.  Distributions tell the systems which locations (branches)
are expected to receive copies of a serial, but not _how many_ copies
are expected at each location.  That's what streams do.

You want to make one stream for each expected copy at a branch.  So if
Branch A gets four copies of Popular Science every month, they should be
set up with one branch and four streams.  The streams themselves can
have a label or not, depending on your policy or needs.

I hope that helps a little!

--
Lebbeous