[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Digital Bookplates, URLs in item records

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 15:19:47 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Elizabeth Thomsen <et at noblenet.org> wrote:
> Thanks!  But is there any way to have a copy note (or any field other than
> 856) include a link?
>
> We have also thought about using a located URI in the bib record for links,
> which might be OK for some things, but not for bookplates which are really
> copy-specific.

As I mentioned, with skin customization you could surface this
information more directly, and turning it into a link from there
should be simple, assuming you have all the data you need.  All the
tools are there, in other words, and applying them (or contracting to
have them applied) is what's needed.

Alternatively, if a large number of your items have bookplates and
other linkable notes or labels, you may want to consider investing
(either local talent or via consulting services) in creating an entire
feature to support things like bookplates.  Perhaps something like a
"copy note link" feature that adds link support to notes.  If you go
this route you would need to consider the implications of your local
environment on the design, and vice versa, and how that would impact
other potential users of this feature.

I hope that helps!

--miker

--