[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Override Checkout Failure no_matchpoint error

Steve Wills steve.wills at lyrasis.org
Wed Oct 6 14:35:19 EDT 2010

Hi Geoff,

If it helps at all, you are not alone on this one.

Many of us have struggled with getting Circulation Rules right as they have been in transition from being something that was scripted to rules one can setup using the admin.
In the 1.6 branch, the Circulation Policy Editor helps a lot but the underlying rule components like custom durations and fines still need to be set using a cgi-script to the best of my knowledge.

A quick scan of the pages on the wiki and via the DIG docbook reveal that a clear "official" explanation of how one admin's circulation policies is still needed.

For what it is worth, I found Circ Rules so frustrating that I created defaults at the consortium level for each circulation modifier type, i.e. 7 days, 14 days, etc.  And asked my libraries to setup templates for material types like DVD's and VHS's etc. that would force circulation by modifier for each item cataloged.  For me, that reduces the problem to knowing that an item barfs only when it does not have a circulation modifier.  I am sure there is a best practice that balks at this solution, but it appears to be working for our little rural libraries up in the wilderness.

Stev3