[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] cataloging question

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Oct 18 17:10:31 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 03:07:17PM -0400, Jason Etheridge wrote:
> > There is a way to do it, but it has been disabled for PINES libraries. Perhaps it is a setting
> > you can change, if your library's needs are different.
>
> For the Z39.50 interface, you can force an import if you have the
> ALLOW_ALT_TCN permission.  Older versions of Evergreen didn't actually
> seed this permission in their permission list, but an administrator
> could create it manually and then grant it to specific permission
> groups and it would work.

It is also possible in the MARC Editor in recent releases of Evergreen
(1.6 I think) to edit the 001 field, which (if the record has a 001) can
enable you to avoid an ID collision.

In the 2.0 release, you will be able to set the global flag
'cat.bib.use_id_for_tcn' with will use the record ID for the TCN; this
will prevent ID collisions from ever happening - which can be a good
thing, or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. Good, from mine -
I don't want duplicate bib records, but the complexity and limitations
of the TCN model prior to 2.0 were pretty frustrating at times.