[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Unexpected results changing Organisational Units through Staff Client in EG 2.0 alpha4

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:41:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Repke de Vries <repke at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Your help appreciated: setting up our library structure by changing
> Organisational Unit Types and Organisational Units through "Server
> Administration" in the Staff Client, gives unexpected and incomplete
> results.
>
> We are talking the EG 2.0 alpha4 Virtual Image and we are prototyping the
> organisational structure in anticipation of 2.0 beta and going live later
> this year.
>
> After some changes to text labels in Organisational Unit Types,  we made
> changes to the hierarchy of Organisational Units + the Units themselves.
> Here is a screenshot where for example you see the out-of-the-box BR1
> changed: http://screencast.com/t/fWRTdaCnxy
>
> First of all: actually *deleting* anything not needed proved impossible:
> sometimes the Org Units admin interface turns red and nothing happens;
> sometimes deleting did seem to happen only to have the out-of-the-box
> structure return later; this is irrespective of having any holdings or users
> or workstations attached to, say: a branch.
>
> And testing the consequences of such changes :
> - all the OPAC and staff client screens persistently keep the *old* text
> labels like for example "Example Branch 1" - also after stopping and
> restarting Evegreen + Apache; and of-course we started new staff client
> sessions;  here is a screenshot:  http://screencast.com/t/NR9Od8oMh96
> - Holding Maintenance screens show a mixed result:  changes to Unit Types
> come through, changes to the Units themselves don't come through:
> http://screencast.com/t/XqdW9S9jr
> - Exporting records picks up the new Organisation Unit Policy Code "IISG"
>  (instead of "BR1") and uses it on the 852
> - Importing records does *not* recognise this new code "IISG" in 852 $b
> - the new MARC 001/035 + TCN =  MARC 001 feature (see Server Admin ->Global
> Flags) however *does* pick up the new Policy Code defined in the Consortium
> Org Unit and uses it for "issuing authority"
> - there seems to be a time delay ?  After a few days now for example the
> Holding Maintenance screen + pick lists *do* seem to have picked up more of
> the changes: is that in any way likely?
>
> What are we missing ? Which other steps than Server Admin in the Staff
> Client are necessary to have changes in the Organisation Units fully take
> effect?

After editing Org Units or Org Unit Types, you must run the autogen.sh
script found in /openils/bin.  This regenerates static JavaScript
files from the data in the database.  See:
  http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:policies&s[]=autogen&s[]=sh#applying_the_changes

Also, after changing these structures (which is hopefully very rare in
practice) you will need to restart your staff client.  Because these
are not expected to change often, the staff client caches these
locally at startup.

After doing both of these, do you get results you expect?

--
Mike Rylander