[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] We have a problem "Profile group"

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Sat Oct 23 07:48:01 EDT 2010

I, personally, am a supporter of "give each default group that is not
labeled as being an 'administrator' the minimal set of permissions it
would logically need, and let each group installing/configuring the
system add permissions to groups to suit their local needs" type things.

In other words, by default, I think a circulator should be able to
circulate materials, and nothing more. That does not restrict any
given installation from having more permissions on that group,
however, to enable things like patron registration, but then it is an
action taken to increase rights of the group rather than needing to
take action to decrease rights later.

Things labeled as 'administrator' groups, however, I think should be
given all rights they could possibly need for the scope of the account.

Thus, I do not support making it so that by default the circulator can
register patrons, but I support making it so that by default the local
administrator can register patrons and staff accounts (including
promoting patron accounts to staff accounts).

I also support documenting how to give circulators permission to
register patrons, however, for those libraries and/or consortia that
want them to be able to do so.

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium