[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] the future of demo.gapines.org and dev.gapines.org

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Tue Oct 26 16:00:59 EDT 2010

Hello Evergreen Community,

I wanted to poll the full community about whether and/or how people might be using http://demo.gapines.org and http://dev.gapines.org .

For a little background, Evergreen was originally developed at the Georgia Public Library Service by the developers who went on to form Equinox Software, and they used dev.gapines.org as their primary development server for PINES.  demo.gapines.org was developed for the dual purpose of offering a stable demonstration server for interested parties to use the software in a semi-realistic Evergreen instance and for PINES library staff training.  Demo is running Evergreen version 1.2.4.0, which is two versions behind the current stable 1.6 branch and has not been updated since Fall 2008.  It is no longer used for PINES trainings (at least by the GPLS staff) and we are not aware that any particular group in the community is using it either.  Dev has also not been used very much in the last year - it seems that most developers are using virtual machines or other test servers for their development.  As far as I am aware, it is not actively being used for development (PINES-specific or otherwise), and to my knowledge it is running Evergreen 1.4.0.7, which is the oldest stable version currently supported.

So, with that preamble:  Would anyone object if we take these venerable old servers down? :-)  This would be done with the plan that GPLS would re-implement some sort of shared community demo/test server in the not-too-distant future.

I welcome any thoughts, questions, or discussion!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Sharp
PINES Program Manager