[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Populating Owning Library dropdown in Copy Locations Editor

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Sep 16 14:40:07 EDT 2010

Hi Steve:

On 16 September 2010 14:30, Metcalf, Steve <MetcalfS at evergreen.edu> wrote:
> I added an Organizational Unit, using lib-setup.cgi, at the same level
> as Example System 1 and Example System 2.  Both example systems appear
> in the Owning Library dropdown on the client's Local Administration/Copy
> Locations Editor screen, but the one I added does not.  I see that the
> change I made to the shortname at the Consortium level is not reflected
> in the Copy Locations Editor dropdown.  I changed it back to CONS, but
> that didn't make my OU appear.

In general, if at all possible, don't use the CGI scripts; they were
built for older versions of Evergreen and shouldn't be trusted. We
recently ripped them out entirely from the 2.0 release, and probably
should have removed them earlier. They might look like they're making
changes, but they might not be saving any changes.

In the Staff Client, go into Admin... (top right corner) -> Server
Administration -> Organizational Units and make changes there.

You also have to ensure that you add units at the right depth
(Organizational Unit Type has a depth property that reflects what
level of the library hierarchy a library of that library type will
exist at - e.g. System = 1, Branch = 2) and that you don't make a unit
a child of itself. (Don't laugh, this has happened in production
systems and boy does it mess things up! I'm not saying it happened on
our system the day after we went live...)

And of course, as Robert suggested, always rerun
/openils/bin/autogen.sh after changing the library hierarchy.

Dan