[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MARC for electronic resources

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Thu Sep 30 08:34:19 EDT 2010

I recommend you seriously consider using the "source" option that Dan
listed.
To give you more detail, every bib record has attached to it a field
called the "source".
There's a table that lists all of the possible sources (you can add
more as needed), and for each one, whether it is "transcendent" or not.

Transcendent simply means that the record will be visible in the OPAC
without any items attached and even if you haven't added anything extra
to the 856.
So, for instance, for our ebooks, we have a special "source" which is
set to transcendent, and when we add ebook records, we change the source
from the default to this other source.
I just find this a cleaner option from a cataloguing perspective than
adding a subfield to the 856.

Very recently, we (UPEI) had the wonderful Dan Scott add two things to
make this much easier - the ability to modify the source in the staff
client on a per-record basis, and a fix to the Vandeley (Batch import)
so that the "source" pulldown there actually worked.

Dan, is that code out there for Mary to use in her system yet?

FYI, the table in question is config.bib_source for your SQL people,
and the bib field that references it is biblio.record_entry.source.

Melissa Belvadi

---
Melissa Belvadi
Emerging Technologies & Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca
902-566-0581