[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Web Service or Custom URL?

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Apr 15 11:30:21 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:06:46AM -0500, Kermit Krug wrote:
> I work in the IT department for Quality Books Inc, a small press book vendor for public and school libraries.  We have a growing number of customers who are utilizing Evergreen.  As a book seller, we are always interested in trying to avoid selling a book to a library that the library already holds, which then usually leads to a return of the book to us.  My question is this: is there available in Evergreen a web service or custom URL string that would allow asking for the existence of a book in a library's holdings (using ISBN as the book identifier)?
> Thanks.

SRU works, particularly with more recent versions of Evergreen:

http://laurentian.concat.ca/opac/extras/sru/OSUL/holdings?version=1.1&operation=searchRetrieve&query=eg.isbn+=+0131855255

Replace "OSUL" with the shortname of the library that you're working
with, and substitute the proper hostname. You'll also have to ensure
that the 'eg.isbn' index is pointing to a proper identifier index; this
doesn't come stock until Evergreen 2.0. Before then, you'll have a
keyword search which may have more false positives.

Specific item information can then be found in the 852 fields in the
returned MARC records.