[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What now? Again.

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Sat Apr 16 23:33:24 EDT 2011

Not having a happy time with EG.  Unexplained/unexplainable things go
wrong on a daily basis.  Most of the time waving a chicken gets us going
again but this one is really strange.

The latest is that every time we check out we are getting the message
below.  Our primary hardware went mad last week so I had to do an
emergency reload of the database into a fresh machine because the only
spot available was a 32bit host with VMWare Server instead of a 64 bit
one with KVM.  That had it's own interesting challenges but everything
was going well until there were calls to put the old ILS back up for a
few last queries.    Guess where I had found the free server space...
Yup.  So I jiggled some more and moved EG's Postgress VM to a different
host machine also running VMWare Server 32bit so it was a straight scp.
That is when the errors started on checkout.  And of course moving it
right back again does nothing to fix the problem so we are now stuck.
Did the copy somehow go wrong or was it because I also had to stop and
restart the EG front end during the copy?  I have totally rebooted the
front end machine and again, the problem persists.

The message looks correct in that the items look like they are getting
checked out but the natives are getting restless at the long delay
before it appears and having to click past it every time.  Any notion
why this 'error' message is there, what sort of things might trigger it
and how I might squash it?  The current VMs are a smaller than the main
hardware but it did run quite nicely for four days, just a little
slower.

We are running 1.6.0.8 + Pg 8.3 on Debian 5.0.7  The DB server is
currently in VMWare Server 32bit and the front end on KVM 64bit.

Please open a helpdesk ticket and include the following text:

Sat Apr 16 2011 22:01:31 GMT-0500 (CST)

The action involved likely succeeded, however, this part of the software
needs to be updated to better understand success messages from the
server, so please let us know about it.

{

"stacktrace":"/openils/lib/perl5/OpenILS/Application/Circ/Circulate.pm:1221 /openils/lib/perl5/OpenILS/Application/Circ/Circulate.pm:203 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/OpenSRF/Application.pm:560",
        "ilsevent":"",
        "pid":"3155",
        "desc":"",
        "payload":