[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Acquisitions and Multiple Bib Records

Tim Spindler tspindler at cwmars.org
Fri Aug 26 14:25:21 EDT 2011

We were wondering about how others are dealing with this in acquisitions.
 It has been my assumption that when provider order records are loaded into
Evergreen via "Load MARC Order Records" via the acquisitions menu that there
is no record matching done.  Therefore, if a library orders "A Tale of Two
Cities" and we already have the correct bib record from OCLC that the record
from the vendor will not match and instead create a duplicate bib record
rather than attach a copy to the OCLC record with a status of "on order."
 If this is correct, what are libraries doing who use Evergreen acquisitions
to clean up the duplicate bib records?

I have not really been able to test but I have assumed it works this way
because the MARC Federated Search will load duplicate bib records and
appears to have no record matching capability.

--

Tim Spindler

Manager of Library Applications

tspindler at cwmars.org

508-755-3323 x20
IM: tjspindler (AOL, meebo, google wave)

C/W MARS, Inc.

67 Millbrook St, Suite 201

Worcester, MA 01606
http://www.cwmars.org

*P**   Go Green - **Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless it's
really necessary.*