[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Another serials question

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Dec 7 17:45:03 EST 2011

Hello Mary,

Sorry for the delayed reply.  What you are saying is correct in 2.0.  The original thinking was that we wanted a unit for every item, as one eventual goal is to be able to generate shelving location based holdings summaries.  Without units, the serial items have no shelving location.  In 2.0, if one doesn't want to see received items in the OPAC, one might use a non-opac-visible location, status, or flag in their receive template to accomplish that, but that is more or less a workaround.

There is clearly demand for unit-less receiving, and the support already present in the Batch Receive interface has been extended to the Serial Control receiving interface as of 2.1.  To do so, select "No Unit" from the "Set Current Unit" selector when receiving.

Dan

Daniel Wells, Library Programmer Analyst dbw2 at calvin.edu
Hekman Library at Calvin College
616.526.7133