[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hold queues and due dates

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Feb 4 08:28:11 EST 2011

As Chris alludes, from experience with a system that did display this kind of information, PINES libraries felt, and still feel, that displaying due dates and estimating the date when an item placed on hold would be available to the patron would be too misleading and cause more problems than it would solve. As Vicki, says, the many factors that go into getting the item back and then to the new user make it impossible to predict with any accuracy when the book would be available to any given patron on the hold list. In PINES, a large consortium in a large state, it can take as long as a week in transit time between systems. Also, at least in earlier versions of Evergreen, holds are not necessarily filled in the order in which they are placed in order to minimize overall transit time.

Elaine Hardy

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128