[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hold queues and due dates

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Thu Feb 3 15:15:01 EST 2011

Hello,

> I have three holds on books at my local library but thanks to the
> recent installation of Evergreen I have no idea when any of them will
> be available. With the cataloging system that Evergreen replaced, I
> knew whether there was one or any number of other patrons ahead of me.
> Similarly, when I call up the details of a particular book I learn
> whether it is available or checked out but have no indication of when
> it is due back in the library. The old software told me that, too.

As Jason mentions, there is an "estimated hold wait" feature in recent
versions of Evergreen that's based on an algorithm of the number of available
copies, the item check-out period, and the number of holds.  Whether or not
your library is able to enable this feature is up to whatever governance
structure they have in place.  In large consortia (like PINES, for which
Evergreen was originally designed), these kinds of settings can be controversial
(for reasons like the ones Vicki mentions).

> Instead, Evergreen tells me whether a book is damaged, being
> reshelved, in process, in transit, or in various other situations that
> are of no concern to the library patron. I have yet to find anything
> other than a zero under any of these headings.

While this kind of information may not be particularly helpful for patrons at
their home computers, it is very important to patrons inside libraries.  Evergreen
uses the same interface for patrons both inside and outside libraries and library
staff as well, so it is designed to accommodate all three groups' needs.

--
Chris Sharp
PINES Program Manager
csharp at georgialibraries.org