[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Batch importing records and holdings to 1.6.0.1

ISI ILS ils at isystemsinstitute.org
Sun Feb 13 09:32:42 EST 2011

Dear friends,

Thanks to support from Equinox team, we have been trying migrate several
institutions to Evergreen 1.6.0.1.

Currently we have a rather difficult task of importing records and holdings
from an Excel file, which includes all the basic tags required by MARC21.
The table also includes some holdings information (i.e. the number of copies
available at the branch).

I would very much appreciate if someone could point out the best way to
batch import the records and holdings to our consortium catalog and make the
visible in OPAC.

I know there is a batch import function in the Staff Client, but when
importing records by this method, the holding data seems to get lost, the
records are not associated to a specific branch and they are not visible in
OPAC as well.

Taking a look at the documentation, I am a bit confused and could really use
some help.

I would guess that the process would involve some of the following steps

   - Adjusting Excel table columns to include the required MARC21 data and
   holdings information
   - Converting the table to marcxml
   - Adjusting the xml file
   - Importing the data either by Staff Client batch import or directly to
   the database (or by Postgre administration web interface)
   - Assigning the imported data to a specific branch
   - Making holdings data active
   - Making the records visible in OPAC

Of course this is just a guess, so any advice would be greatly appreciated
:)

Thanks for your help!