[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Building on Amazon EC2; Hostname Issues

Stephen Wills swills at beyond-print.com
Sun Feb 13 23:33:33 EST 2011

I just spent the weekend playing with EG 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 on a
couple of EC2 AMI's

This is a note for others still learning about Evergreen.   Erlang,
the E in ejabberd, uses a default configuration file while ejabberd is
starting up, which, among other things sets up the default node for
the ejabber server.  On an Amazon EC2 slice, the first time this runs,
it computes the default jabber node and stores it in a mnesia database.

When you stop and then restart your EC2 instance, this default
behavior computes a new node name for your jabber which then crashes
with a mismatch error against the previous name in the mnesia database.

To correct this annoyance, one can explicitly name the ERLANG_NODE in /
etc/default/ejabberd as Raymond noted last June in the included post.

A helpful post on this is:
http://blog.kenweiner.com/2008/05/ejabberd-on-amazon-ec2-ubuntu-ami.html

I hope this helps someone,
Stev3