[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MassLNC development interests - bookbags

Kevin Kierans kevink at tnrdlib.bc.ca
Mon Feb 21 14:24:24 EST 2011

Hi Kathy,
Here's some thoughts about bookbags:

Titles vanish from bookbags when weeded.  This is good when staff is doing a "theme" bookbag, but bad when a patron is keeping a "these are books I've read" list.  Make keeping the titles or not an option.  (maybe "grey out" the titles that are no longer available?)

An option for patrons to export what they have out on their card right now to a bookbag.  Select the titles to be exported by putting a check box next to each title.  Patron could then choose (1) add to existing bookbag or (2) start a new bag.  (Then the bookbag can be sent to a friend "these are great quilting books I have out right now, you might like to read them too!")
(this could also be used for patrons to more easily keep a "books I've read" bookbag.)

Comments/annotations for (1) the bookbag as a whole (right now you have to come up with a descriptive name for the bag) and for (2) the individual titles.

Use bookbags for SDI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_dissemination_of_information
 (I guess you call them "alerts" now)
In myAccount you set up a profile and Evergreen periodically fills a bookbag for you called "you might want to read these based on the profile(s) in your account."

More on the other items later,

Cheers,
Kevin
TNRD Library System (part of Sitka)