[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MassLNC development interests - bookbags

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Feb 22 15:14:42 EST 2011

Thanks for the feedback Kevin!

When we pulled together these requirements, we refrained from doing anything
with reading history because we knew KCLS had done some work in this area,
and I'm hopeful we'll be able to utilize some of the KCLS work in our own
systems. I think your point about keeping deleted titles is a good one. I
just tested it on our 2.0 test system and found the same behavior that Jason
cited in his e-mail. I'll be interested in seeing if the reading history
treats deleted titles in the same way since it really is important for a
patron to keep that title information in a reading history after the record
has been deleted. I have many other hopes for the reading history and can't
wait to be able to take a look at it. For example, we would also like users
to be able to delete individual titles from their reading history, and I'm
curious to see if that functionality will be available.

> Comments/annotations for (1) the bookbag as a whole (right
> now you have to come up with a descriptive name for the bag)
> and for (2) the individual titles.

I hadn't been thinking about the annotations for the entire bookbag. Thanks
for the suggestion!

> Use bookbags for SDI
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_dissemination_of_information
>  (I guess you call them "alerts" now)
> In myAccount you set up a profile and Evergreen periodically
> fills a bookbag for you called "you might want to read these
> based on the profile(s) in your account."

I would love to see functionality like this in Evergreen, although I don't
know if I would want to see the recommended titles in a bookbag or possibly
in a more prominent location when the user logs into the catalog. It's not
something that MassLNC could take on at this time, but I think it would be a
great asset to the catalog.

> More on the other items later,

Keep the suggestions coming! :-)

Kathy