[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** RE: Holds settings in Evergreen

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Jan 12 17:47:05 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:
> Thank you for the response Jason. I knew that stalling only impacted
> opportunistic holds captures, but the fact that it stalls one process and
> not the other confuses me about what the ultimate intent of the setting is.

Kathy,

So I've mentioned 2 libraries in my scenario, the pickup lib and the
"pull" lib.  Now imagine if opportunistic capture was enabled and you
have 270+ libraries in your consortium.  Staff at the pull lib may
very well go to the trouble of pulling a targeted item, only to find
that the hold it was being pulled for has already opportunistically
captured another eligible item that was checked in at one of the other
269+ libraries.  This is okay if it's the pickup lib doing the
capturing (yay for the patron getting it sooner), but staff at the
pull lib could feel slighted, and staff at other libs that happen to
process their check-ins earlier in the morning could also get slammed
with the lions' share of hold captures.

That's what hold stalling was trying to address.  You got picked to
fulfill a hold, so we're giving you a chance to do it, except in the
case where the pickup comes across the desired item sooner (saving
ourselves a transit).

Does that make sense?

--
Jason Etheridge