[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** RE: Holds settings in Evergreen

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Jan 12 17:37:54 EST 2011

Thank you for the response Jason. I knew that stalling only impacted
opportunistic holds captures, but the fact that it stalls one process and
not the other confuses me about what the ultimate intent of the setting is.
If the intent is to try to keep holds in-house when you can and to reduce
the load on delivery, you would think it would stall both processes, not
just opportunistic captures. As I was thinking through stalling, it seems
like it would only stall a hold in a limited number of cases.

Let's say you have a consortium that has implemented two-day holds stalling.
The libraries in this consortium are in the habit of running their holds
pull list on a daily basis and are good about filling holds through the
targeting process. If a patron places a hold that is unavailable at the
pickup library but available at other locations, there will be a stall on
the opportunistic capture. However, a library that has a copy of the title
will see it on its pull list and send it to the pickup library.

If the hold is placed on a title that is unavailable at all locations and
has a long holds queue, the stalling will never really come into play
because the two days will have passed by the time the patron reaches the top
of the holds queue.

So the stalling would only have an impact in cases where there are no
available copies at the time the hold is placed and where the patron is
likely to reach the top of the holds queue within the two days for which the
hold is stalled. In that scenario, if a copy of the title is checked in at a
location other than the pickup library within the two-day stalling period,
the system would send this copy to the shelf instead of filling the hold.
However, wouldn't the system just target that copy the next time the holds
targeter runs?

I just had an "aha" moment as I was writing this e-mail. Is holds stalling
really a way to give the circulation library an opportunity to put a title
on its shelf for a brief period before sending it off to another library
again?

Thanks!
Kathy

Kathy Lussier