[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] mobile OPAC functionality in 2.0

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Wed Jan 19 19:03:23 EST 2011

Hi Tara,

You are referring to the screenshots that Lisa Hill of KCLS provided  (I've
attached them here again).

The update on this is that KCLS continues to struggle with their "skinned"
OPAC.  It isn't just a pretty face but in fact it adds a lot of new
functionality for the library user.  It turns out that the communication
between that skin and Evergreen has turned up some significant design issues
with the Evergreen OPAC (at least when you are trying to meet the
transaction requirements that KCLS is AND use this groovy new skin).

So.  After many attempts at fixes and tweaks, the KCLS and Equinox folks are
looking are completely rewriting the Evergreen OPAC.  This is ultimately
really good news because all that great new functionality will then be part
of Evergreen (no "skinning" required).  The bad news is that might take a
while.

So, that's the current thinking.  I don't believe the decision has been made
for sure about the re-do approach so don't hold me to it just yet....but
stay tuned.

Lori

--

Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling