[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] OPAC start page

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Jan 24 22:26:53 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 04:35:01PM -0600, Vicki Reeves wrote:
> We have gotten some bib and holdings records to load.  We celebrated by
> playing in the OPAC.  But that gave us a new issue ...

Yay!

<snip>

> Our problem is that we don't know how to 'point' the OPAC so that it
> starts searching at our library (2nd level) instead of the regional
> library (top level).

<snip>

> If I pick Beauregard Parish Library, I see 'Now searching Beauregard
> Parish Library' which is where I want our patrons to start, but the URL
> is still this:
> http://evergreen.library.beau.org/opac/en-US/skin/craftsman/xml/index.xml

Once you've picked your library, run a search. The URL will change to
something like
http://evergreen.library.beau.org/opac/en-US/skin/lul/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=jazz&l=103&d=2&f=

The key GET param you're interested in is the "l" parameter - which
stands for "library". This specifies the ID of the library found in the
actor.org_unit table to which you want to scope your search. However,
you can see that value in the URL so you don't need to look in the
database for this one.

Assuming that the value in your case is "l=102", you can provide links
http://evergreen.library.beau.org/opac/en-US/skin/craftsman/xml/index.xml?l=102
to start patrons at the right search scope. In our case, we redirect
patrons from various subdomains (like "laurentian.concat.ca" and
"windsor.concat.ca") to the full URL including the "l" parameter
appropriate for the scope of each library.

Hopefully this helps.