[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 2.0 training materials - cataloging and circulation

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Jul 15 11:26:14 EDT 2011

Hello:

Just a heads-up that I created some training materials for Evergreen 2.0
for a library earlier this week from scratch. It was probably foolish to
do it from scratch, but I knew what I wanted to talk about and had to
step through the screens to capture the correct labels anyway and ensure
correctness, so it didn't seem like I would save much time by working
with existing materials.

The materials cover:

  * Intro to the staff client
  * Intro to the catalogue
  * Intro to basic cataloguing
  * Intro to basic circulation

The materials include a number of hands-on exercises (it's training,
after all, not just documentation). It took me about 12 hours to pull
this content together, and I'm pretty happy with the shape it took;
delivering the training took a full day, and we were able to use a
number of the basic exercises to jump into more advanced aspects of
Evergreen.

The materials are available from http://bzr.coffeecode.net/2011_boreal
(in a bzr repository, if you're inclined to fork and develop the
content) in HTML "Slidy" format, PDF, and ePub, and they are licensed
under a CC-BY-SA license (so if anything fills in a gap in the existing
documentation, it can be integrated without a licensing problem). The
source is AsciiDoc, naturally, and my intention was to create materials
that could stand alone if necessary but which would benefit from having
an instructor to guide through & provide more context.

One caveat: I was delivering the training to a French library, so
all labels come from the French translation of the staff client.
However, it would take only a few minutes to switch these to English.

I did a quick search this morning and found PLS had training materials
for 1.6.0.3, and some PINES training materials from 2008/2009 are on
the wiki, but there doesn't seem to be very much current content
available. Would this be something that the DIG would be interested in
adopting? Or perhaps we could start by simply creating a "Training"
namespace in the wiki and pulling together links to as many existing
sources of content as possible.

Dan