[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Batch loading bibs, items and authorities

Martin McGovern martin at oslo.ie
Thu Jun 2 17:02:19 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I am embarking on importing 150,000 bibs into an empty Evergreen database. I
have a few questions about how I should approach it. I have read the entry
in the wiki and various posts to the list.

1. Shoud I use the command line scripts or Vandelay? I gather that Vandelay
will only handle batches of 5,000. Is that still the case?

2. The command line looks complicated and tedious. There seems to be 5 or 6
steps? In EG version 2.0.6 do I still have to covert to JSON, ingest etc?

3. The Marc data is Marc21 with the items in the 952 tag. Can the items be
imported directly into Evegreen during the import? I guess I still have to
create the volume/call level records. Most of the fiction records will have
a simple call number of "F". Would this be adequate?

4. Should I load the authorities first?

5. The only unique number in the Marc records is the original bib# from the
source LMS. Using this will probably cause none of the records to match and
overlay. There is no OCLC number, most records have ISBNs in the 020 which
seems to be repeated in the 001.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. (apologies for all the questions)

Thanks a million.

Martin Mac
OSLO Ltd.