[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] CPAN modules

Joseph Haig josephhaig at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:18:48 EDT 2011

I am following the installation instructions for installing on Debian
Squeeze with a database on a separate server from Evergreen and the
instructions indicate to install various packages from CPAN. Is there
any compelling reason to install the following from CPAN when they
exist in the Debian repository?

  cpan Business::ISBN - libbusiness-isbn-perl
  cpan JSON::XS - libjson-xs-perl
  cpan MARC::Record - libmarc-record-perl
  cpan UUID::Tiny - libuuid-tiny-perl

Two of the packages do not exist in the repository:

  cpan Library::CallNumber::LC
  cpan MARC::File::XML

Is there any plan to have these added to the repositories so that
everything can be installed via standard packages? This is only based
on the packages listed to be installed separately for the Postgres
database, so I am sure there are a whole lot more CPAN modules that
get installed.

Regards,

Joe