[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] CPAN modules

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Sat Jun 4 19:03:59 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Joseph Haig <josephhaig at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am following the installation instructions for installing on Debian
> Squeeze with a database on a separate server from Evergreen and the
> instructions indicate to install various packages from CPAN. Is there
> any compelling reason to install the following from CPAN when they
> exist in the Debian repository?

Probably just a holdover from when the instructions targeted Debian
Lenny, where packages weren't available or weren't recent enough.

>  cpan Business::ISBN - libbusiness-isbn-perl
>  cpan JSON::XS - libjson-xs-perl
>  cpan MARC::Record - libmarc-record-perl
>  cpan UUID::Tiny - libuuid-tiny-perl
>
> Two of the packages do not exist in the repository:
>
>  cpan Library::CallNumber::LC
>  cpan MARC::File::XML

Actually, this last one is packaged as well:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libmarc-xml-perl

> Is there any plan to have these added to the repositories so that
> everything can be installed via standard packages? This is only based
> on the packages listed to be installed separately for the Postgres
> database, so I am sure there are a whole lot more CPAN modules that
> get installed.

If you have Debian packaging skills, then a plan would be appreciated;
the Evergreen technical discussion list at
http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/mailman/listinfo/open-ils-dev
would be the right place to get that discussion going. If you're
interested in helping out, Ben Webb is one of our Google Summer of
Code students working on improving Evergreen's packaging situation -
it would be great to see a coordinated effort. Ben introduced himself
here: http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2011-May/007184.html
and Ben has had a good discussion with the GPLS folks who have done
some Debian packaging work
(http://libmail.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2011-May/007161.html).