[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen - Send by Text OPAC Button

Geoff Brown gebrown at niagaracollege.ca
Wed Jun 8 10:27:48 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Has there been any development in a "Send via Text Message" option in the Evergreen catalogue? I have noticed that there was some discussion (Oct 31 2007) in the OPEN-ILS-DEV [OPEN-ILS-DEV] entitled "Send call number to SMS feature + licensing of" that makes reference to this feature but I am unsure if there have been any further developments?

It would be a great feature to have as part of our OPAC. The functionality that was described in the 2007 thread is exactly what it was thinking:

Example Use:
1. A user that is more comfortable texting than writing things down
comes into the library.
2. They use the catalog to find an item they want to grab from the shelves.
3. They click the "Send via Text Message" button.
4. A screen pops up where they enter their phone number and select their
provider.
5. The call number is sent to their cell phone.
6. Repeat for a few more items.
7. They use their cell phone to find the items in the shelves.

 Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Thanks,
Geoff Brown

Library Technician - eResources,
NC Libraries and Learning Commons