[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 008 field and leader

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Jun 27 12:18:43 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Jun 26, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Dan Scott wrote:
> Alternately, we could teach open-ils.cat.biblio.record.xml.create to
> set 008/00-05 if they are blank or a placeholder value. The trigger is
> probably more versatile, as it would handle direct loads into the
> database and records created via other means as well as new records
> created via this particular API, but it also puts more load on our
> single point of failure.

I favor using triggers to ensure consistency no matter how a bib makes its way into Evergreen.  However, whether we add yet another trigger or attach the logic to open-ils.cat.biblio.record.xml.create, I think we're at the point where we should think about setting up a scheme for managing the transformations to be applied when a record is added or updated.

In particular, I propose something like the following:

config.metadata_transform
  id       serial
  name     text
  trigger  text

config.metadata_transform_profile
  id       serial
  name     text

config.metadata_transform_profile_map
  profile_id   int foreign key references config.metadata_transform_profile (id)
  transform_id int foreign key references config.metadat_transform (id)
  seq          int

Examples of transforms would include:

* update_901
* update_005
* marc21_update_008_date

Example transform profiles would include:

bib_create_mandatory (includes update_901, update_005, marc21_update_008_date)
bib_update_mandatory (update_901 and update_005 but not marc21_update_008_date)

But, of course, this would open the door to *optional* profiles that would be applied when needed.  For example, a transform profile could be applied for a particular Vandelay import (or, for that matter, export).

Besides the flexibility that something like this would give us, it would also provide a way to separate MARC21-specific transforms from (say) transforms that apply only to UNIMARC.

> Aside: if we create this and it gets backported to a current release,
> should one of the placeholder values for
> open-ils.cat.biblio.record.xml.create going forward be '070101', at
> least until we update the MARC templates accordingly?

Yes.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton
Director of Support and Implementation
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
direct: +1 770-709-5581
cell:   +1 404-984-4366
skype:  gmcharlt
web:    http://www.esilibrary.com/
Supporting Koha and Evergreen: http://koha-community.org & http://evergreen-ils.org
Equinox is going to New Orleans! Please visit us at booth 550
at ALA Annual to learn more about Koha and Evergreen.