[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] javac for opensrf?

Boggs, John boggs at plsinfo.org
Wed Jun 29 14:19:28 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I've hit a wall in trying to install the latest opensrf. The instructions at http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.0/draft/html/ say "If you wish to include support for Python and Java, add the configuration options --enable-python and --enable-java."  Since it doesn't state whether those options are necessary for Evergreen, I decided to play it safe and include them, but now I'm coming up against the lack of a javac on my system when the build process tries to build json. (../opensrf-2.0.0/src/java/deps)

Was I wrong to try to include java and python (or at least java)? I've searched high & low to figure out how to get a javac on my box, and I'm coming up blank. (Debian Squeeze)

The error I get from the make process is:
  make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/opensrf-2.0.0/src/java'

  missing dependency !

I did have to go out & manually download json, as the wget in the subdirectory is no longer valid, but now I'm left with a bunch of .java files and no javac to compile them...

Thanks for any pointers you all have for me!

John D. Boggs, PLAN Database Manager
Peninsula Library System
2471 Flores Street
San Mateo, CA  94403-2273