No subject

Tue Jun 7 22:28:46 EDT 2011

templates.
=20
There is a link on the right hand side of the screen that says 'Create a =
new Template for this folder', click that link.
=20
This takes you to the reports section.
=20
In this section click the 'Sources' drop down menu and choose, the =
'Circulation' option.
=20
This will cause 'Circulation' to be displayed in the area below the =
'Sources' drop down menu.
=20
Click the arrow besides 'Circulation' in this display area.  This will =
show you a list of options that can be included in your report, they are =
ordered alphabetically.
=20
Click the 'Patron' option, this will display a number of items in the =
area to the right of the 'Sources' screen.
=20
I'm going to choose the items I used in my report, but you can choose =
any item you see fit to include in your report.
When choosing an item for the report, it is important to look at the =
'Data Type' column.  If the 'Data Type' is 'link' then you need to look =
further to find the details you want to display.
=20
For instance, under Patron there is a 'Mailing Address' option with a =
'Data Type' of link.  To get to the Mailing Address details you need to =
click the the arrow beside 'Patron', which will open up a subset of =
options to chose from.  One of those options is 'Mailing Address' if you =
click 'Mailing Address' you will now see the actually details for the =
patrons mailing address displayed to the right. Many of these items have =
a 'Data Type' of text.  Unlike the 'link' data type, the 'text' data =
type will display useful information in your report.  There are other =
data types that will display useful information.  If I come across any =
while writing this I will make note of them.
=20
Ok, back to the report.
=20
So, once  you have clicked 'Patron' and have the list of items =
displaying to the right of the 'Sources' screen, you can click double =
click the 'First Name' option which has a data type of 'text'.  This =
will add 'First Name' to your report.  You will see it show up in the =
'Display Fields' tab in the bottom section of the screen.  After you =
have double clicked 'First Name' do the same for 'Last Name', 'Daytime =
Phone', and 'Evening Phone'.  Next, click the arrow beside 'Patron', =
then click the 'Current Library Card' option.  In the screen to the =
right of 'Sources' double click the 'Barcode' option to add the patron's =
barcode to your report.  Now, above the 'Patron' option click the arrow =
besides 'Circulating Item'.  In the items that appear below 'Circulating =
Item', click the 'Call Number/Volume' option.  In the window to the =
right of 'Sources' click 'Call Number Label' to add the call number to =
your report.  Now, click the 'Circulating Item' link in the 'Sources' =
window.  In the window to the right of Sources, click 'Barcode' to put =
the item's barcode in your report.
=20
There is now a problem with your report.  You have two report items =
named Barcode (the user's barcode and the item's barcode).  Click once =
on the first Barcode in the 'Display Fields' screen.  This is the =
patron's barcode.  Then click the 'Alter Display Header' button.  This =
will let you change the name of this field.  Change it to Patron Barcode =
or whatever you feel like.  Then click the second Barcode and click =
'Alter Display Header' again.  Change this Barcode to Item Barcode or =
whatever your prefer.
=20
One last item to add to our report, the Due Date.  Click the =
'Circulation' link at the top of the tree in the 'Sources' list.  Then =
double click 'Due Date/Time' to add the due date to your report.  The =
Due Date/Time is not a text data type.  It is a timestamp data type, =
which will show you a date and time.  If you only want the date to =
display click the 'Due Date/Time' option in your 'Display Fields' =
screen, then click the 'Change Transform' button and chose the 'Date' =
option.
=20
Ok, you now have a list of fields for your report (feel free to add =
items to your report that  you feel are necessary, just be sure you =
don't add an item with a data type of 'link'.  Items with data type =
'link' will  not break the report, but they won't give you any useful =
information.
=20
Now we need to add the filters to your report that will give you useful =
information.
=20
Besides the 'Display Fields' tab there is a 'Base Filters' tab.  Click =
that tab.
=20
Now you need to specify what fields will limit your report.  You now =
have a clear list at the bottom of your screen under 'Base Filters'.
=20
In the 'Sources' screen above 'Base Filters' look for the 'Circulating =
Library' link underneath the 'Circulation' root.  Click the 'Circulating =
Library' link.  This will open up options in the screen to the right of =
the 'Sources' Screen.  Double click the 'Organizational Unit ID' option. =
 This is the first filter and will allow us to generate a list of =
overdue items belonging to a specific Organizational Unit.
=20
Next, click the 'Circulation' link at the top of the 'Sources' screen, =
then double click the 'Check In Date/Time' link to the right of the =
'Sources' screen. 'Check In  Date/Time' has a data type of 'timestamp'.  =
Once you have Check In Date/Time in your Base Filters, you need to =
modify the filter to look for items that do not have a Check In =
Date/Time (ie, they are still out on loan).  To do that, click the =
'Check In Date/Time' link in the 'Base Filters' screen.  Then click the =
'Change Operator' button and choose the 'Is NULL' option.  This will =
look for items that do not have a 'Check  In Date/Time' value set in the =
database.
=20
There is one more item to add to your 'Base Filters' list.  This is the =
'Due Date/Time'.  Click the 'Circulation' link at the top of the =
'Sources' screen, then double click the 'Due Date/Time' option which has =
a data type of 'timestamp'.  In order to get a list of over due items, =
we want to look at items with a Due Date/Time that is less than or equal =
to today.  So, click the 'Due Date/Time' option in your 'Base Filters' =
tab, then click the 'Change Operator' button and choose 'Less than or =
equal to'.
=20
This is all you need to do to set up your template. So, if you are =
satisfied with your Display Fields, give your Template a Name like =
'Overdue items at a particular org unit' and a description 'Generates a =
list of overdue items at a particular Org Unit.  Set the Due Date/Time =
to now() in order to get current overdue items.'  I'll explain what that =
last sentence means when we generate a report from this template.
=20
The Title and Description fields are inbetween the Sources screen and =
the Base Filters Screen.  Once you have entered your Title and =
Description, click the 'Save' button to the right of the 'Description' =
input field.
=20
Now we need to generate a report from this template.
=20
Administrators->Reports).  You will be sent there once you save your =
template.
=20
Click on the arrow beside the 'Templates' link, then click the directory =
you chose to save your template in.  You should see a list of templates =
apear to the right.  Click the box besides the template you just created =
(It should have a 'name' value equal to what ever you chose as the =
template name before you saved your template).  Once the box is checked, =
make sure 'Create a new report from the selected template' is the =
current option in the select box, then click the 'Submit' button.
=20
This will bring you to the report generation screen.  In here, you need =
to fill in the 'Report Name' field.  A 'Report Name' like 'Overdue items =
for BLA library' where BLA is the Org Unit you wish to use for this =
report might be a good report name.  The name of the report will be sent =
to staff via email when the report is run, so you want to make it =
informative.
=20
You need to fill in the 'Report Description' field.  Detailing who is =
recieving the report and a quick description about the report is useful =
here.
=20
You then need to select a folder to store your report in.  This option =
is listed as 'Choose a folder to store this report definition: '.   The =
list of folders available to you will be the folders you created at the =
start of this process.  Chose a folder that makes sense to you.  If you =
only have one folder choose it.  You may want to create more folders =
later on to help you organize your reports.
=20
Now you have to fill in the filter options.   Under Organizational Unit =
ID, choose the Org Unit you want this report to detail.
=20
Next is the Due Date/Time part which is not very intuitive, and if =
anyone knows a better way of doing this let me know.  In order to get =
the report to give you a list of items that are overdue at the moment it =
is run, you need to use a PostgreSQL function called now().  now () =
generates a timestamp eqaul to the moment it is executed.  So in the =
input box to the right of Due Date/Time enter 'now()'.  Because we are =
using now() in the Due Date/Time option. This report will find over due =
items from the moment the report is run.  I suggest running the report =
in the early morning to get a list of items that are overdue as of the =
previous day.
=20
You will  not be able to change the value for Checkin Date/Time because =
it is set to Null by our template.
=20
Next you can choose if you want this to be a recurring report.  If you =
do, then click the check box to the right of 'Recurring Report:'.
=20
If you do want a recurring report you need to select how often it will =
recur, Every Day, Once a Week, Once a Month.  You can modify the number =
to the left of 'Day/Week/Month' to generate the report at different =
intervals.
=20
You can then choose when you want the report to run.  If this is your =
first time running the report you might want to run it as soon as =
possible.  If that is the case, keep the 'Run as soon as possible' box =
checked.  If you are running it as soon as possible, I would suggest not =
running it as a recurring report.  Instead, run it once as soon as =
possible, then make a new report and run it at a specific day like the =
first of the Month, or every Monday, or whatever makes sense for your =
staff.
=20
Next, you choose what email address to which you want the report sent.  =
You can add multiple addresses by separating them with a comma.  Note, =
this only restricts who the report is sent to.  In the email that is =
sent, a ULR to the report will be included, and you can give this URL to =
anyone with a Staff Client login who can then use their login =
credentials to view the report.
=20
Finally, you need to choose a folder for the reports output. Click one =
of the folders you created at the start of this process.  The folders =
are to the right of the 'Choose a folder to store this report's output:' =
text.
=20
Take a couple of glances over your report to make sure everything is set =
properly (is it set to use the right Org Unit?, have you typed now() =
correctly into the Due Date/Time input box, etc).  Once you are sure =
everything is setup correctly, click the "Save Report' button.  In a =
short while the emails you listed in the report should get a message =
with a link to the report.
=20
If you do not want to wait for the email you can click the arrow to the =
right of the 'Output' link in your 'My Folders' section, then click the =
folder you chose to save the report output to.  Click the checkbox =
beside your report's name, then make sure the select box reads 'View =
report output' then click the 'Submit' button.  Note it may take a bit =
for your report to generate, so if your report's name is in the 'Pending =
Items' section, then wait a minute and click the 'Reload' button to see =
if your report is now listed in the 'Completed Items' section.  If your =
report is stuck in the 'Pending Items' section then your Clark Kent =
reporting daemon is probably not running, and you will have to get your =
Evergreen admin to start it up.  Once you have clicked submit, you will =
be taken to a new screen.  This new screen with give you two options. =
Tabular Ouptut, and Excel Output.  Tabluar Output will display your =
report as an HTML table, Excel Ouput will let you download an Excel file =
with your reports details. =20
=20
I realize this is a very long email.  I hope it is not to muddled and =
filled with spelling errors.  If you need further explanaiton please ask =
on the list.
=20
Liam
=20