[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] mixed language records, records of translations

Christoph Schilling ch.schilling at gmx.de
Thu Mar 10 09:59:16 EST 2011

Hi,
sorry this might be partly off-topic. but I am trying to create mixed
language records that are in my case quite often records for translations.
Many books are originally in English, but translated into Arabic and I
want to be able to search for the (Arabic) books later even if I type in
the author's name or some main subjects in English or Arabic (which I
would put in both languages in the 650 fields).

Now I am not even sure where to put the author's name and book title in
the marc record.
I searched lengthily the net: some say to put it in the 245 field (but
the 245 field is not repeatable) other's put it in 240, I found an
example of mentioning the original in 500, and 242 is only if I do the
translation myself.

It should be though in a field that the key word search would search in.
I don't know which fields or if all the fields are searched in this kind
of catalog search.

I would be very glad if someone could give me a hint.
Christoph