[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Language problems in Evergreen

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Mar 10 10:48:02 EST 2011

On 10 March 2011 02:36, Tigran Zargaryan <tigran at flib.sci.am> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
> reporting about the current situation with patron registration and search
> using non-Latin scripts..
> After installing OpenSrf 2.0 and EG 2.0 we are able to register and save
> patrons in Armenian.
> But when searching the patrons by name or last name (e.g. using Armenian
> script) the system is replying 'No patrons found matching search criteria'.
> Same search by  patron bar code is giving a positive result.
> So now we can save the patrons, but retrieval by non-Latin script is
> resulting to null.

Hi Tigran:

I tried but can't reproduce this problem on Fedora 14 with PostgreSQL
8.4, OpenSRF 2.0RC1, and Evergreen 2.0.3-ish. I can register patrons
and retrieve them - at least by copying and pasting text from
http://hy.wikipedia.org/ as the patron's first and last names. Perhaps
there's a difference between entering patron names directly via the
keyboard versus copying and pasting names? If you could try copying
and pasting names for registering and searching for patrons on your
system, that would be a nice test.

I plan to build a 2.0.3 virtual image on Debian Squeeze once Evergreen
2.0.3 is officially released and will try this test again there.

One thing to note is that in the Register Patron interface, the First
Name is the first field, whereas in the Search for Patrons interface
the Last Name is the first field.

Dan