[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] mixed language records, records of translations

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Mar 10 12:57:48 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:45:42AM -0500, Galen Charlton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Christoph Schilling wrote:
> > If I understood the 880 fields are only for transliteration of other languages. In my case it would be a translation, for which the 880s shouldn't be used, as it is not only a "alternate graphic representation" of the same data.
> >
> > Thanks for your answer and the description of indexing also other fields than the default ones.
>
> Good point regarding the distinction.  For translations of author names, you can use authority records (for example, look up the LC authority record for Shakespeare).  For subject headings, you could also use authority records, although it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to just use multiple 6XX fields, one set for the English headings, one set for the Arabic headings.

On the suggestion to use authority records - in the short term, that
won't address Christoph's expressed desire to have a search on either
the English or the Arabic versions of the title or author's names bring
up the same bibliographic records. The authority records are currently
used primarily for authority control at the cataloging stage, and not so
much during discovery.

Down the road, we could teach Evergreen to automatically add the
headings from linked authority records to the pertinent search indexes,
but that is not a feature that currently exists in Evergreen 2.0.

> As far as the title is concerned - are the works you catalog explicitly identified as translations and include the original title?  If so, you could do something like this and still follow AACR2:
>
> 245	00$aJournal for general philosophy of science =$bZeitschrift für allgemeine Wissenschaftstheorie
> 246	31$aZeitschrift für allgemeine Wissenschaftstheorie
>
> If the translation of the title is supplied by you, you can use the 242 <http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd242.html>.

I second these suggestions as the best short-term solution to your
problem.