[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen System MANY Questions

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Mar 10 21:37:26 EST 2011

Hello Rob,

You might also want to consider a hosted solution, as this option can help you get up and running pretty quickly and cost-effectively, especially if in-house IT support is challenging.

A number of companies offer both Koha & Evergreen ILS hosting - two shops that come to mind are:

http://bywatersolutions.com
http://esilibrary.com/

George

George Duimovich
NRCan Library

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org on behalf of Rob Kobus
Sent: Thu 3/10/2011 7:55 PM
To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen System MANY Questions

Hello,

My name is Rob Kobus, I am the Artistic Director of Capital Carillon Inc., a non profit professional handbell ensemble here in Washington DC.  Over the years, our Handbell Music Library has grown both due to us buying music and by two long time musicians who left us there library when they passed.  At present our group has about 15-25,000 pieces of music in its library.  Multiple copies and many just singles.

In efforts to share our collections with who ever in the world wishes to research and use them, we have decided to set up a catalog, using proper MARC 21 to catalog everything.   I began researching library software and found a very simple system called, Openbiblio, It is great, however one draw back is that we can not share it with the world as "real" libraries do, because of the software limitations. Only direct people to our website and the Opac.

After much discussion with friends I have made at the LOC, I was directed to start a search for a system that would meet our needs and to be honest, fit our budget, which is non existent.  I then found Evergreen!  Knowing a little about Linux, php etc.,  I tried to install Evergreen but after many, many ties, I failed!  I just do not have the knowledge to get it up and running.  So, today, out of frustration, I did a little more research and found the name Chris Sharp of the Georgia Public Libraries. After sending a rather odd message to him asking if he would call, the phone rang and we started to talk.  Thank you Chris, you have been much help!  Chris suggested that I contact the mailing list to (1) let you guys know about this project and possible future resource, and (2) to connect with the people who may be able to get us started in the right direction.

I feel that if we are going to take on this project, spend the time to catalog it, then we need a way to make it accessible to anyone through the Evergreen system.  So....  I guess in short, I need help.  Can anyone direct me to someone who can help us get on the right track and get this software installed?  Any suggestions would be most helpful!

Thank you for taking time to read this!

Rob

Rob Kobus
Artistic Director