[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] GSOC-2011 Project Ideas Discussion

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Mar 25 09:37:28 EDT 2011

Hi Ankur:

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:06:32AM +0530, Ankur Sharma wrote:
> Hello All
>
>      My name is Ankur Sharma.This is my 3rd year of engineering from Laxmi
> Niwas Mittal  Institute of Information Tech. India
> in the field of Computer Science and Engineering. My area of interest
> include Software Engineering,Database Management System and
> Mathematical Modelling.
> As far as language concerns I have 3 years coding experience in C,C++ ,Java
> technologies,HTML, PHP, CSS and JavaScript.
> I have done courses in Mathematics,Object Oriented Programming and
> Database Management System with basic projects.
>
> I found following project ideas which suits my interest and capabilities :
> 1. Create Android client(s) for Evergreen
> 2. Create a Ruby and/or PHP client for OpenSRF and Evergreen

You'll need to prepare a detailed proposal to apply for the Google
Summer of Code, so I suggest you dig deeper into these projects and find
out what would result in 1) a satisfying, rewarding summer for you 2) a
significant enhancement to Evergreen. The ideas list is meant to be a
starting point.

> As I am a newbie in GSOC-2011, So I would really appreciate any kind of
> advice, guidance and reference for further reading from mentors or
> someone has got similar interest.

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs
is a really good place to start.
http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/_v/1.0/what-is-google-summer-of-code/
has also been recommended a number of times in the #gsoc channel.

For Evergreen in particular, we've started to tag some bugs in our bug
database as 'bitesize' if we feel they're appropriate for someone new to
the project; if you're really ambitious and want to show off some of
your skills, you might want to tackle one of those. We've provided a
VirtualBox image to try and help get you up and running quickly; this is
also a good opportunity for you to determine whether Evergreen is the
right project for you :)

> And please tell me your IRC nick for further communication and discussion.

The project ideas page does include the IRC nicks of the potential GSoC
mentors, but there is also a wiki page that maps some of the common
#evergreen IRC nicks to names at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=community:irc_channel