[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Request for installation help

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Sat May 7 19:13:12 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM, John H <gadgetfan.john at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 7 May 2011 15:50, Sharp, Chris <csharp at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>> Yes - you're on the right track.  In previous Evergreen releases, the
>> admin username was hard-coded to "admin" and the password was hard-coded to
>> "open-ils".  This allows you to pick it.
>>
>> > Even more importantly, what should <dbname> be?

>> This is typically "evergreen" in test installs, but I believe this is also
>> something you can pick yourself.
>

> Thanks, that was very helpful. I now have a "bare bones" installation up and
> running. My problem now is finding instructions on how to populate the
> database - that is, add libraries, borrowers and stock.
> Searching under "populate database", "add a library" and "configure" doesn't
> seem to show me anything useful and my staff client won't connect to my
> server (although a web browser will), presumably because there are no
> libraries defined to connect to. I'm assuming that Evergreen comes with a
> skeleton structure with commonly used tables already defined. Can you give
> me any pointers?

It would help if you provided more specific information about what
problem or error message you get when you try to connect from the
staff client.From almost any Evergreen web page, try clicking
"Documentation -> Evergreen 1.6 (HTML) -> Core Staff Tasks"; this will
tell you how to connect using the staff client and perform many other
functions such as adding bibliographic records, volumes, and copies.
This information is not yet in the 2.0 documentation.

Changing library names from the default setup (the recommended
approach, at least for those getting started) is a little less
obvious, in the 1.6 documentation it's under "Server Administration ->
Organizational Unit Types and Organizational Units". This information
is also not yet in the 2.0 documentation - and it might make sense to
have at least an index entry for "Library (see Organizational Unit)"
as the terminology is a little unusual.