[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] authority records management question

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon May 16 12:16:56 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:10:43AM -0400, Soulliere, Robert wrote:
> Thanks, Dan,
>
> I created a bug  report as you suggested. I was reluctant to do so since I was starting with the assumption that it was a local data issue and not a bug. I was hoping to get a few authority data munging tips I could try before reporting it as a bug.
>
> In regards to finding the French records or records with a catalogue language setting, this query (provided by Mark Bucholtz) worked for us:
>
> select * from authority.full_rec where tag = '040' and subfield = 'b' and value = 'fre';
>
> I am not sure if this works for every catalogue since it requires the use of the 040 tag, but it might be another option for some.

Thanks Robert.

Opening bugs is very often the right thing to do, you might be surprised
how often something that you think is a local issue turns out to be a
common issue across libraries.

I responded to the bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/783486
for the curious) with the suggestion of creating two indexes that, on
our test server with 1.1 million authority records and 16 GB of RAM,
cuts query execution time for the standard "right-click on a field in
the MARC editor" down from 5500 ms to 0.23 ms. Assuming that the same
indexes help your case, I'll ensure that they get added into the upgrade
script for 2.0.7.

So, you shouldn't have to prune your set of authority records at all; a
little bit of database tuning, in this case, goes a very long way.

Dan