[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Inconsistent search results

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu May 26 11:29:28 EDT 2011

For #1 - I see this in the staff client in 1.4 and 1.6. I have not had an
opportunity to report it as an problem. I'm seeing some other inconsistent
results in the OPAC. Searching for keyword cataloging (no filtering) in
the local branch I retrieve 1691 results. When I sort  by title, the
returns drop to 134. When I return to advanced search and filter by books
and nonfiction, sort on relevance, I get 1240. When I sort by title from
the result screen, I get 134.

For the subject searches, I also get inconsistent results, but since
subject searching differs in 1.6, I don't know that what I am seeing is
relevant to what you see. (I really think your branch needs to beef up its
animals living in space collection)

For #4 - It is my understanding that the number of results is an estimate
of the returns and may or may not reflect the actual number of titles in
the results. As it was explained to me, estimation of results is tied to
the use of superpages to aggregate and retrieve results in Evergreen
searching (at least in the PINES database).

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager

Georgia Public Library Service,

A Unit of the University System of Georgia

1800 Century Place, Suite 150

Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128

404.235-7201, fax