[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Inconsistent search results

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu May 26 11:49:21 EDT 2011

Thanks Elaine!

(I really think
> your branch needs to beef up its animals living in space collection)

I really thought I might get something on Laika, the Russian dog that was
sent into space, but he's filed under Astronautics, not Solar System.

> For #4 - It is my understanding that the number of results is
> an estimate of the returns and may or may not reflect the
> actual number of titles in the results. As it was explained
> to me, estimation of results is tied to the use of superpages
> to aggregate and retrieve results in Evergreen searching (at
> least in the PINES database).

After I sent the e-mail yesterday, I hand counted the results that I used as
my example, and I did find that, in most cases, the system was retrieving 70
results. For results sorted by relevancy, there were 69 and for results
sorted by Title Z to A, there were 67. I know the number of results can vary
in many search systems - I see it happen in Google all the time. I'm
interested in getting a better understanding of what would cause this
difference so that I can then explain it to our libraries.

Thanks again!
Kathy

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator