[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What is the best OS for installing Evergreen-ILS?

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Tue Nov 29 14:37:39 EST 2011

Quoting Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com>:

> Jason,
>
> Standing on the shoulders of those who made the install targets distributed
> with EG2.1, I hacked together my own additions to target Ubuntu 11.10.  It
> seemed to work alright except for shoe-horning in Postgresql-9.1. I am sure
> it is more trouble than it is worth to do this for production.  I am
> planning to do something like that again working from an alpha of EG on the
> Ubuntu 12.03 LTS Alpha Flight.  It remains to be seen if I can do it, but
> at least working toward the next LTS version, I will not be doing something
> totally useless.

Well, now you're drifting into dev-list territory, but let me share a
suggestion that the general community might also find useful.

Rather than using an alpha tar ball (2.2alpha1, I assume), I'd suggest
you install Evergreen and OpenSRF from git clones of the master
branches. It is much easier to keep up with changes that way and
updates are a snap. Learning to use git is practically a requirement
if you want to join the developer community, even just to work on
installation instructions for a new distro/release.

Git makes it super easy to share your patches/diffs with other
developers who can try them out, and then get them merged into the
main repository.

HtH,
Jason

/me runs off to investigate adding additional VMs on his development host.