[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What is the best OS for installing Evergreen-ILS?

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:08:50 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org>wrote:

> Wolf,
>
> Debian is a good choice as are Ubuntu and Fedora. These are three most
> popular distros among the developer community, so you'll get the most help
> in IRC with these. There are also make targets for installing prerequisites
> on these distros, so the installation will be easier with those three.
>
> On Ubuntu, Lucid Lynx (10.04), is the only one "supported" at the moment.
> We're sticking with LTS releases for Ubuntu. When 12.04 is released, we'll
> begin working out any kicks on that release.
>
> Bill Erickson has started some work getting Evergreen to install on
> FreeBSD. I intend to test that and expand on his work, but haven't gotten
> time to do it, yet. You can read Bill's instructions here:
>
> http://yeti.esilibrary.com/~**berick/docs/eg_freebsd.html<http://yeti.esilibrary.com/%7Eberick/docs/eg_freebsd.html>
>
> HtH,
> Jason Stephenson
> Merrimack Valley Library Consortium

Jason,

Standing on the shoulders of those who made the install targets distributed
with EG2.1, I hacked together my own additions to target Ubuntu 11.10.  It
seemed to work alright except for shoe-horning in Postgresql-9.1. I am sure
it is more trouble than it is worth to do this for production.  I am
planning to do something like that again working from an alpha of EG on the
Ubuntu 12.03 LTS Alpha Flight.  It remains to be seen if I can do it, but
at least working toward the next LTS version, I will not be doing something
totally useless.