[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problem with yaz, debian-squeeze and Net::Z3950-SimpleServer

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Fri Oct 7 12:37:18 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 21:11 -0400, Dan Scott wrote:

> You have to install a previous version of Net::Z3950::SimpleServer
> from CPAN. There were hopes that the maintainers would realize that it
> would be nice if their package would install on the most recent stable
> Debian release and make the dependency on the most recent source
> version of yaz optional, but that seems not to be in the cards.
>
> Net-SimpleServer-Z3950 1.12 works happily with Debian Squeeze. Don't
> have the command at my fingertips but something like the following
> from the CPAN shell should work:
>
> cpan> install M/MI/MIRK/Net-SimpleServer-Z3950-1.12

Ok, that is solved.  Had to apt-get install yaz first but that might
have been me installing and reinstalling things trying in vain to make
it work.

> This is a relatively recent development (well - middle of August) and
> as the package is only required for providing a Z39.50 server it
> hasn't been on the front of people's minds; they generally don't run
> into it when testing out the basic functions of an installed system.
> We should be able to tweak Makefile.install accordingly - either to
> install the latest yaz from source (sigh - hopefully _that_ won't
> introduce problems to more core functions like z39.50 import...) or to
> install Net::SimpleServer::Z3950 1.12 specifically (I'd lean towards
> that because it has less impact on the system as a whole).

Well I am running 1.6.0.8 in production right now and and the idea is to
get this pair of machines up and try a test import of our data with an
idea to migrate after letting the staff beat on it a week or so.  So I
was watching the install logs carefully for errors since the plan is for
this install to go into production.

I am working on the assumption that I can stuff a copy of our data in,
run each of the schema update scripts and be ready to test?  The
postgresql versions differ so I plan to just import the evergreen db
instead of a dumpall.  Will still have to edit a few things here and
there but don't expect it to be painless.

> > Second problem is BOBTFISH::Class-DBI-Frozen fails because it won't
> > build without a working postgres server on localhost.  I'm testing a
> > split database so hadn't installed postgres and the dependencies coded
> > in Makefile.install didn't catch it.  Oops.  Will install a server long
> > enough to build it once I get past the more serious problem.
>
> Are you _sure_ it didn't install? I've never had to have a PostgreSQL
> server installed for that package to be installed. The CPAN directives
> in Makefile.install state that it should be installed forcefully -
> there are one or two tests that are known to fail and therefore kick
> out scary error messages, but they're red herrings.

Apparently it did.  After seeing the error I tried manually installing
and couldn't and didn't think about the makefile doing a force.  So that
clears both holdups and I'm back in business.